All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medication. Never prior to have so numerous new techniques and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless people the opportunity to lower or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless method to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by fancy ads about a specific laser center. Pick the doctor, not the laser. Find out who will really do your treatment, then ask about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Pick a medical professional who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a medical professional doesn't understand can harm you.
Ask for info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, discover another one.
5. Ask what steps are required to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Ensure that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is try this web-site as good as a discount parachute.
7. Expect to see really well after LASIK, however do not expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat different result. The very best surgeon on the planet can't ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as individual as each patient. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a tough sell. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a automobile; this is real find out LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting until the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of countless individuals all over the world.